Amending the PRO Act for Locum Tenens Will Ensure Continuity of Quality Patient Care
Locum tenens physicians and advanced practice providers work as independent contractors. This status affords them the freedom and flexibility to choose temporary contracts that fit into their lives and schedules. It is what many providers appreciate most about working locum tenens.
However, that independent contractor designation could be at risk if Congress passes the Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act.
In support of the clinicians and facilities who depend on the staffing services we provide to ensure patients receive the quality healthcare they deserve, in partnership with the National Association of Locum Tenens Organizations (NALTO), All Star Healthcare Solutions is asking members of both the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate to pass legislation that would permanently designate locum tenens physicians and advanced practice providers as independent contractors.
- The provider shortage is expected to last several more years, leaving healthcare facilities with staffing voids. Facilities rely on All Star and locum tenens clinicians to fill those gaps.
- Approximately 52,000 locum tenens providers care for more than 7.5 million Americans every year, some of whom may not receive care otherwise.
- If the PRO Act passes, locum tenens providers would no longer qualify as independent contractors. Not only would this change their tax withholdings, but it could serve to dissuade physicians and advanced practice providers from accepting short-term contracts. That would impact the crucial services they provide to healthcare facilities and patients, including those in underserved communities.
If the proposed Protecting the Right to Organize (PRO) Act becomes law without that permanent independent contractor designation, the locum tenens industry would be significantly impacted.
We invite you to join us in calling on Congress to prevent such a monumental disruption to our industry.
Here’s how you can make your voice heard:
- Go to NALTO.org/action and click on the button that best describes you:
- NALTO Member or Affiliate,
- Healthcare Provider, or
- Facility That Utilizes Locum Tenens
- On the next screen, fill out the form with your home address, so the message is sent to your specific representative and senators.
- Select “Send Email.”
To learn more about the benefits of working locum tenens and how the practice alternative help hospitals, health systems, clinics, and other healthcare facilities meet their immediate and long-term staffing requirements, contact All Star Healthcare Solutions online or call us at 800-928-0229.