15 Benefits of Locum Tenens Practice for PAs
All Star Healthcare Solutions wishes the nearly 160,000 physician assistants (PAs) delivering patient care throughout the United States a celebratory National PA Week, October 6–12, 2022. We are honored to connect PAs with locum tenens opportunities, where you have the chance to experience a variety of settings and patient populations, and where you extend access to medical services for people and communities. Indeed, as explained in the list below, there are numerous benefits for PAs choosing the career alternative.
- PAs practice in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. All Star’s licensing specialists guide you through the steps toward licensure, so you have more locum tenens possibilities to explore.
- All Star partners with facilities nationwide. We have quality, longstanding relationships with hospitals, health systems, medical practices, clinics, and other healthcare facilities throughout the country and are continually building more, which expands assignment options for providers.
- Opportunities exist in multiple settings. The demand for PAs comes from all types and sizes of healthcare organizations: large and small; acute care and outpatient; urban, suburban, and rural. Locum tenens professionals have the prerogative of selecting the type and size of facility that matches your skillset and practice preferences.
- Work alongside a variety of colleagues. Accepting locum tenens positions, either as a moonlighting gig or on a full-time basis, introduces you to a plethora of peers. This arrangement serves as an avenue to continuously build your professional network as well as cultivate new friendships.
- Learn from multiple mentors. Collaborating with different physicians and specialists creates varied learning scenarios.
- Gain skills. All Star consultants present locum tenens jobs that match your skill set; however, there may be roles in which you can acquire or advance skills across specialties that utilize similar procedures and techniques.
- Exercise more autonomy. State licensing boards determine the scope of practice for PAs, including supervision requirements and prescriptive authority, but advanced practitioners oftentimes are afforded a high degree of autonomy.
- Schedule according to your needs. One of the most appealing benefits of locum tenens is the ability to control work commitments. Whether you pursue contract after contract or just pepper a few assignments into your regular workload, the choice of when to serve as a locum tenens professional is yours. It’s also your decision for which opportunities an All Star consultant presents your CV to facilities.
- Test out jobs and communities. According to the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants, a record number of PAs earned their initial certification last year. When searching for that first job out of training, it’s important to find positions that meet both your professional goals and personal expectations. Accepting locum tenens jobs full time allows you to work and live in various locations until you find a role that satisfies all your criteria for the long term.
- All Star’s full-service capabilities can help you find a direct-hire position. If you prefer settling into a staff position with a hospital, healthcare system, or multi-specialty private practice group, our direct-hire consultants are ready to assist in the job search.
- Ease into retirement. Locum tenens positions open the door to maintaining a foothold in the professional realm, but with a schedule that accommodates your work/life wishes at this career stage.
- Supplement your income. Locums, either full time or as an occasional side job, can help you reach financial objectives on a faster timetable.
- Satisfy your wanderlust. If traditional vacations only whet your appetite for travel, then you will appreciate the extended stays of locum tenens assignments. Spending weeks, or even months, in a location invites you to experience the community and surrounding area’s offerings on a more personal level.
- Bring family and friends along. Whether they visit while you are on assignment or you tack on extra days after a contract wraps for extra fun, inviting family or friends to join you allows them to share the locum tenens experience.
- Make an impact. Stepping into a busy urban hospital unit or small rural clinic, you positively affect the staffing situation and continuity of care, serving both the permanent staff and their patients.
If you would like to find out more about locum tenens opportunities for PAs, contact All Star Healthcare Solutions today! Call 800-928-0229, or contact us online.